To increase group comfort, a get to know you exercise.
Ideal Group Size
Under 15 people. Otherwise the reporting back to the group goes on too long.
Time For Exercise
Under fifteen minutes
Detailed Instructions If Needed
Facilitator divides the group into pairs and assigns each pair to interview one another.
Then each individual introduces her/his counterpart. One pair volunteers to begin, and the others follow. Possible questions for the interview:
- Introduce yourself and talk about your successes and challenges.
- In an ideal situation, where money and training were not a problem, what would you be doing?
- Three words I would like to be remembered by are…
- What would I most like to learn today?
- What would I REALLY dislike to happen today in the session?
Discuss in the group:
- What did you feel when your counterpart introduced you?
- What is easier: to talk about yourself or to hear it from others?
- Was it an easy task to talk about your successes/positive characteristics?
Don't miss out on the use of this icebreaker to GET information you need as a trainer to customize the training for the specific group. That's why we include the questions above highlighted in red and bolded.